It’s official! Production has begun on Disney’s live-action adaptation of Artemis Fowl, directed by Kenneth Branagh.
The film is an adaptation of Eoin Colfer’s best-selling series. Principal photography is already underway and will film in England, Northern Ireland, and Ho Chi Minh City.
Here’s the cast so far:
- Artemis will be played by newcomer Ferdia Shaw.
- Lara McDonnell will play Captain Holly Short, a feisty elf who Artemis kidnaps for a ransom of fairy gold.
- Academy Award-winner Dame Judi Dench plays Commander Root, the leader of the reconnaissance division of the fairy police force called LEPrecon.
- Josh Gad plays Mulch Diggums, a kleptomaniac dwarf who tries to help in the rescue of Holly.
- Nonso Anozie (from Cinderella) plays Butler, the Fowl family bodyguard.
- Tamara Smart plays Butler’s niece Juliet.
- Miranda Raison plays Artemis’ mother Angeline.
Other members of the cast include Josh McGuire, Hong Chau, Nikesh Patel, Michael Abubakar, Jake Davies, Rachel Denning, Matt Jessup, Sally Messham, Adrian Scarborough, and Simone Kirby (from Alice Through the Looking Glass, shown below):
The creative team consists of Director of Photography Haris Zambarloukos, Production Designer Jim Clay, Composer Patrick Doyle, and Hair and Makeup Designer Carol Hemming. Costume Designer Sammy Sheldon Differ, and Editor Martin Walsh round off this brilliant team!